Translate

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Black sheep, have you any wool?

The ladies who work in the house amaze and delight me half the time. Sometimes, not so much. This was one of those times that made me laugh. Our nanny is a little timid around me, and cautious around Josie, but really good with our little preschooler. She is determined to teach him how to read.  She wrote this on our easel. The cultural differences here made me laugh. I can’t even remember all the words to the American version I learned as a child. 

She knows the English words for all of the animals and colors. She is an excellent reader and her pronunciation is good. This morning I did have to correct her on the alphabet. The letter "Z" in American English is pronounced "zee" and in British English, which everyone here speaks, expats included, it is pronounced "zed". Thought it is important that my kids know both pronunciations, the alphabet song has to be right. It just has to be.

1 comment:

Nomads By Nature said...

Zed is just the beginning. There will be other words like herbs with the h, torch, lift, rubber, bin, rubbish, pitch, wonky, and strange ways of saying vitamins, aluminum, schedule, and plaid.

I do love the new lyrics to the nursery rhyme! That is precious!